Here's the place to ask questions about Abaco, announce events, make comments, look for friends...
But please remember this is a Community Board.
NO Spam, NO Commercial Posting, NO Flames, NO Dising,
NO Grouches, NO Rumours, NO Copyrighted Material, NO Politics

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Raccoon Stew ...

xProteuSx

Raccoon Stew ...

So, as a pre-trip gift I have received the Lonely Planet guide to the Bahamas, as well as a Bahamas for Dummies book (probably better suited for someone like myself). Now, I'm finally at only 19 days left before I arrive in the Bahamas, but during this insufferable countdown I have read both books and have found something of particular curiosity: Raccoon Stew.

Agains my better judgement, I have decided to ask about this rare dish (here we go with the imagination and judgement ... ). Is it still available, or is it some kind of inside joke?

Member HALF-A-HAMIAN is on a distinguished road HALF-A-HAMIAN's Avatar
    The 'coons are an invasive species, so kill and cook all you want, or just rub 'em out. They kill the ground-nesting, endangered Bahamian parrot. If we could just get the 'coons and lionfish together?!

Member Racedude5 is on a distinguished road
    I'm from Ky so I have heard of plenty of people talk of racoon stew. However nobody talks about it being good.
    One of them good reasons to get out of the house and play with the dogs

NOT a traditional Bahamian meal!

Member HALF-A-HAMIAN is on a distinguished road HALF-A-HAMIAN's Avatar
    'Coon's not bad BBQ'd. Parboil and then slow cook in a roasting pan with your favorite sauce/herbs.

raccoon eat'in

My mother always stuffed and roasted coons just like you would a turkey. We boys would go out at night with a dog and tree and shoot'em. Coon is pretty good, as I recall....Never heard of raccoon stew. But you can stew anything.........tip

+ Reply to Thread