Here's the place to ask questions about Abaco, announce events, make comments, look for friends...
But please remember this is a Community Board.
NO Spam, NO Commercial Posting, NO Flames, NO Dising,
NO Grouches, NO Rumours, NO Copyrighted Material, NO Politics

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hog Snapper Recipes Wanted

shookthehook

Talking Hog Snapper Recipes Wanted

I just got back from a Bimini fishing trip and slayed the Hog Snapper and would like some different ideas for cooking. I have been told there are some recipes with brown sugar & cinnamon but cant find them, however any type of recipe will do.

Member lbud is on a distinguished road lbud's Avatar
    Cut fish in bite size pieces . Bring an appropriate amount of water to a roiling boiling condition. Put old bay and lemon pepper in water first and have someone melt some butter . Boil fish for about 2.5 minutes .( I would test one piece first to guage the time) Serve and smile >

SamFamAustin
    I think you're pulling their proverbial leg, Ibud, maybe the word is "broil." Perhaps boiled hogfish is a Bahamian delicacy?

Any recipe for snapper will work. Broiled, on the BBQ, fried, pan-fried, oven cooked such as Veracruz style, uncooked cerviche, blackened Cajun style, done in a wok, scored and cooked English style, steamed whole - this list could apply to about any good fish like the Hogfish.

Very few fish like the Alligator Gar require a special recipe - that fish is so tough you make fish jerky out of it, just like making beef jerky. /swells

Thumbs up

No, what Ibud says is legit. We've quick boiled tuna chunks that way then sprinkled Old Bay on the chunks. GOOD STUFF! never thought about the butter, will try that next time!

Talking suspicious......

i think ibud and Greenbud are related..... that would make, by my reckoning, greenbud the son....

SamFamAustin
    Hah, this is getting interesting. OK, several cultures boil fish and they consider it great stuff. The Norwgians boil dried salt cod, called Lutefisk. Yup, they boil it and let it stand in lye (caustic soda) for week and then boil it yet again. Ain't much taste left but it sure goes a l-o-n-g way at Chirstmas.

The Jewish folks have Gefiltefish, too, which is stuffed fish balls usually made of carp, a quinelle if you must. I really respect different cultures but frankly it was like sucking on a roll of toilet paper - it is a ceremonial thing I believe.

Give me an grouper or dolphin burger in Abaco any day!
    Kidders, sheesh.

PattyB
    Now we're talking, SamFam! I, generally, love food from all cultures. That said, salted cod is a horse of a different color. My Italian mother-in-law would prepare it for Christmas Eve, a traditional feast without meat. We would soak the fish to leech the salt, for about a week. Then she would fry it with olive oil and hot peppers. It made my kitchen smell to high heaven! Indeed, toilet paper flavored with hot peppers would describe the taste and texture.

Now, before we get accused of high jacking this thread, I never met a plate of hog snapper I didn't like. It's a huge, moist, meaty fish that can be prepared any way you like. It's all good. Boiling tidbits, and dipping in butter, like a mock lobster sounds scrumptious!

Watercolours

Coconut Broiled Hog Snapper!!!!!!!!!!!!

Preheat Broiler a hot oven is important.
    Marinate in Lime and Coconut Rum about thirty minutes.
    Baste with a very light covering of Mayo.
    apply light Mango Chetney
    Season with Lemon Peper seasoning.
    Dont overcook!
    Use the rest of the Coconut rum as you please!
    This is a good way to cook Dolphin and other Snappers!
    We also like to boil fish then season as we desire. This is a quick clean way to cook a piece of fish. Boiled fish and eggs for breakfast is a great choice.
    www.watercolourscottages.com
    www.cruiseabaco.com

SamFamAustin
    Mm, and let's not forget one of my favorites, fish soup. The New England variety tends to have more taters and heavy cream - I prefer mine "Manhattan" style or clear. Great way to use up the fish after cutting all those steaks and loins ... and let's sing praises to Court Boullion, the basis for southern french cooking ...

this one is great for hog snapper

1 box zesty italian croutons chrushed
    fresh lemon juice
    butter
    dry the fillets. wet with fresh lemon juice. spread a thin layer of the zesty italian crumbs over the fillets. put pads of butter over the crumb layer. bake at 400-425 for 10min. the crumbs will start to brown.
    this is the hog snapper recipe that all my friends like best.
    marc

[QUOTE=SamFamAustin]I think you're pulling their proverbial leg, Ibud, maybe the word is "broil." Perhaps boiled hogfish is a Bahamian delicacy?

Boiled fish is a Bahamian standard, many have it as Sundays breakfast.
    Cut up your fish, season with salt, pepper, and lime juice - let soak for an hour.
    In a large pot melt some butter, add your fish, some peeled and sliced potatoes, and sliced onions.
    Add a couple of cups of water and bring to a boil, simmer until cooked.
    Add more lime juice, and bird (hot) peppers to taste, serve with hot jonnycakes.

Regards,
    R.

The Partyman
    ½ Cup Grape Seed Oil Juice of 1 lime ½ Small red onion, finely diced ¼ Cup cilantro leaves 2 Garlic cloves, minced ½ tsp. Minced jalapeno ½ tsp. Minced small red Chile ½ tsp. Dried oregano ½ tsp kosher salt 6 (1 ½ lb.) hogfish (hog snapper to you laymen) filets

1 Cup semolina flour for dredging ¼ Cup Grape seed oil infused with Black Truffle oil [I find the truffles from Rabasse truffle beds in Provence to be the most robust] (for pan)

Combine the oil, lime juice, onion, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, red Chile, oregano and salt in a blender. Process until mixed, but not puréed. Place the fish in a non-reactive shallow dish and cover with half of the Chile mixture. Marinate 30 minutes to one hour.

Remove the fish from the marinade and wipe dry with paper towels. Dredge in the flower until lightly coated on both sides. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-heat. Add the fish and cook until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a serving dish and top with remaining Chile mixture.

I like to garnish the plate with edible flowers and a spot of Persicus caviar. A nice bottle of '97 Mersault goes excellent with this dish.

SamFamAustin
    Thanks, R! Sure sounds a lot healthier than fried ... sort of like poached fish? Sounded like a few cups of water rather than gallons ... watch those birds, though, they can be quite hot. Thanks for the recipe ... hey do the locals ever "curry" their fish? /s

Both chicken, and fish are eaten as currry.
    Pete's Pub probably has the most "Bahamian" menu of any the popular places.
    You can find everything from Turbot (Triggerfish) to Parrotfish on the menu at different times. If you want to try real Bahamian food there are ladies in most towns that will cook homemade Bahamian meals for visitors - just ask around.
    R.

The Partyman
    Also - I suggest that you bring your own truffles and edible flowers - IMPOSSIBLE to find anywhere.

+ Reply to Thread