Here's the place to ask questions about Abaco, announce events, make comments, look for friends...
But please remember this is a Community Board.
NO Spam, NO Commercial Posting, NO Flames, NO Dising,
NO Grouches, NO Rumours, NO Copyrighted Material, NO Politics

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sky Bahamas

Member wendywolford is on a distinguished road

Sky Bahamas

Has anyone flown on Sky Bahamas out of Fort Lauderdale? Just wondering - they seem hard to get in touch with. We will be in Hopetown on October 8. We usually fly Bahamas Air but are staying in Fort Lauderdale and did not want to pay the extra to go to Nassau first and wanted to fly non-stop. If nothing else we will have to go to West Palm Beach.

Great airline

we have taken it many times from Nassau and FLL. Book online. Email questions. That seems to be the easiest way to contact them. No problems.

Member wendywolford is on a distinguished road
    Thank you so much for the information. I will book online and email them with any questions.

Just Be Careful...Note This Recent Tribune Article About SkyBahamas

Before you book, you may want to check this article out in The Tribune.

By NEIL HARTNELL Tribune Business Editor SKY Bahamas is "reviewing daily" whether it will reduce its US flight schedule or withdraw from that market completely, its president telling Tribune Business yesterday that load factors on some flights were down to 15-20 per cent. Captain Randy Butler said the Bahamas-based airline's international ambitions with the Florida market were being squeezed from multiple directions, the lower cost structures enjoyed by rival foreign carriers - together with subsidies and incentives offered by the Bahamian government - enabling them to "advertise their pricing at 50 per cent less than what we're doing".

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2009/...r-15-20-loads/

Member CarolP is on a distinguished road
    Jacksonville & Horseshoe Beach FL & Walkers Cay
    The article from the Tribune was from 2009 I believe. Not too current.

Actually, that article is from last month...

SkyBahamas didn't start flying to FLL until December 2011. Note that it references Silver Airways, Sun Air and Vision, all of which are recent. The Tribune just "updated" their website which resulted in many things being a little out of place. BTW, I have flown SkyBahamas without issue within the Bahamas, just wanted folks to know that owner cites "day to day" decision. I've been on the short end of many airline bankruptcies, no-shows and anything else you can think of over the years. Sometimes Bahamians actually tell you what's going to happen. This may, or may not, be the case here.

Article from March 22, 2012

We flew SkyBahamas in Feb. and will return at the end of this month. They were great, and you can't beat the fare-- at least when we came, it was $204 r.t., but I've heard it's gone up since then. You don't even have to go throgh security screening in FLL. Brought our dogs, and personnel was very helpful with that. Would definitely recommend them.

Member biggy is on a distinguished road
    In response to biminirick: Who is not discussing pulling out of the Abaco market? Gulfstream, and American are lately plus the small charter operators come and go frequently.Florida to Abaco is a dead issue when it comes to airlines trying to make a profit.

That being said............Sky Bahamas has been a first class service for us. We have used them many times from FLL,PBI and many of their domestic routes. In fact we have almost used them exclusively since they started.

Not meant to disparage Sky Bahamas

Hey biggie, I agree they run a first-class operation at SkyBahamas. Capt. Randy Butler has been up front and adamant about the inequities in support by government for foreign airlines. His comments to the Tribune may be an attempt to seek leverage for that situation. The problem is that airlines cancel or discontinue flights at the last minute and the only recourse for the traveler is to buy a "full fare" last minute ticket at a budget busting amount. I don't want tourists to be stranded in FLL, MIA or PBI or even be informed a week or two out that a flight will not operate. At that point the reasonable fares are gone...and, perhaps, their vacation ruined.
    Currently, American may be in a state of flux because of bankruptcy, but Silver (Gulfstream) seems to be expanding with larger airplanes, and a much better timed flight to Orlando (midday).

Here's a Guardian story from last week about Silver's first Saab 340 arrival in Marsh Harbour...

http://www.thenassauguardian.com/ind...28772&Itemid=2

Member biggy is on a distinguished road
    I understand and agree with your concerns biminirick.Leaving someone with a reservation high and dry is not the thing to do,but I would be surprised if Sky pulled such a last minute trick just because of the classy way they conduct business on a daily basis.Of course "the devil is a liar" and I could be made a fool of aye? Hopefully not.........

Unhappy Sliver Airways? (FLL only)

Silver Airways (formerly Gulfstream) is certainly starting with a bang and for people flying from long distances, they make sense. Airport parking, onerous security checks and large airport hassles are behind travelers by the time they reach Florida, hopefull FLL, since its Silver's only Abaco departure point in the State! But that isn't a lot of help for Florida residents. Gulfstream ("Continental Express"), has for years charged the highest fares, flown (indirectly), only from major airports and cancelled unexpectedly. I hope service is now improved, but it doesn't solve the Floridian dilemma - parking.

If you don't fly into FLL, you have a long drive to somewhere then at least two flights to get to Abaco. Inevitably, you will face parking fees nearing $20 per day. and that's for service to Marsh Harbor. If you want to go to Treasure Cay, say from Orlando, its three or four flights, $1800, via Charlotte. Why? Because you have to end up back at FLL! Plus, you'll pay for a $100 taxi ride up to Treasure.

I wish Silver the best, but maybe UAL is too big to serve Florida well and the little guys will still have a market. But, maybe not... I made an ominous discovery last week. Twinair, long my favorite out of FLL, now limits their free parking to one week. After that, you must use an area commercial lot.
    dp

+ Reply to Thread